Sunday, August 22, 2010

Native American names in sports mascots. Anyone else wanna volunteer to replace them?

There has been a controversy about Native Americans in sports team mascots. I'm in Milwaukee, where we once had the Marquette Warriors name, and to my knowledge voluntarily changed the name to Eagles, and even 'Gold' for awhile.





Not being insensitive, growing up with the Warriors team on TV, it sounds natural to me, and the Eagles sounds weak.





If I asked the handful of native American I know, they wouldn't care, but some do, obviously.





I remember a Jewish comedian being asked how he felt about a team being called the Jews. He said after all these years, he'd love for people to cheer his people on. Maybe just a joke, unless anyone starts volunteering.....Thoughts??

Native American names in sports mascots. Anyone else wanna volunteer to replace them?
check out comedian charley hill. he did a bit on this very thing. very funny and also get the point across. btw, he is an oneida indian
Reply:I think the names should be considered an honor, not a slur. But what do I know? I'm a caucasian DINK of german irish descent.





Should I ever have occasion to refer to the team, I would still call them the Warriors because I can't even remember what the real name is now.





I still call the Hog Lazer because I find all that Hog crap to be so....undignified. I know it's because of the harleys but I'm not a fan of those either.


No comments:

Post a Comment